Wichelstowe Logo
Creating better communities

Why Wichelstowe?

Banner Image

After extensive local research, considering themes, Swindon history and the characteristics of the site, a new identity was chosen by members of Swindon Borough Council and Taylor Wimpey following consultation with local residents associations, parish councils and Swindon Borough councillors.

The site is now known as Wichelstowe and the three community areas within the site will be called West Wichel, Middle Wichel and East Wichel.

The name Wichel is the original name of the area recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. Stowe is an Old English word meaning a meeting place.